常用的英语idioms(18)

in #ulog3 years ago (edited)

1)against the odds: 迎难而上;冲破万重困难
We won against the odds.

虽然可能性不大,我们还是赢了。

2)feather one's nest:

3)far be it from me:我不想;我绝不会

Far be it from me to interfere in your affairs but I would like to give you just one piece of advice.

我绝不想干涉你的事,我只不过想给你一个忠告。

4)give someone the cold shoulder:to intentionally ignore someone or treat someone in an unfriendly way 故意冷落某人

He's been giving me the cold shoulder ever since I told him to shut up.

自从我让他闭嘴后,他就不理睬我了。

5)whip out:a)突然拿出 to take out rapidly; to take it out and to present or show sth. to sb.

He whipped out his wallet and gave me a five pound. a)

他迅速拿出钱包给了我5英镑。

b)to create sth. or produce sth. very rapidly 快速制成;快速生产

I can whip you out an omelette in 2 minutes.

2分钟之内我就能给你做个鸡蛋饼。

6)get the word out:散布信息

She placed advertisements in a lifestyle newspaper and called friends to get the word out.

她在一份生活时尚类报纸上刊登了广告,还让朋友多帮她做口头宣传。

7)in high gear:do sth. very quickly 快速做某事

Yesterday I was doing some work on the farm and I was in high gear.

昨天我在农场干活,好不干脆麻利。

8)write your own ticket:自行决定;取得决定权及全部优势

I think I' ll be able to write my own ticket after this project.

我想在这个项目过后会取得更多优势和决定权。

9)go the extra mile:加倍努力;做比期望多得多的努力

My birthday party was amazing. My family really went the extra mile to make it a success.

我的生日party真精彩。是我的家人们加倍努力才让它如此成功。

10)joking aside/joking apart:言归正传

11)without a scratch:安然无恙

He managed to come through without a scratch.

他设法脱险,丝毫没有受伤。

12)The course of true love never did run smoith:真爱的过程从来不是一帆风顺的

13)deja vu:French来自法语 deja: already vu: seen

the illusion of remembering scenes and events when experienced for the first time

似曾相识的感觉;记忆幻觉

experience deja vu

Did you ever have a deja vu experience?你是否有过似曾相识的感觉?

14)full of beans:精力充沛 have a lot of energy

My kids are always full of beans.

15)chalk up to:归咎于

Two cups of brandy, chalk it up to me, please.

来两杯白兰地,请记在我的账上。

he chalks them up to the former administrators

15)lay into:痛打;用言词攻击;to attack forcefully 猛烈攻击

16)fall head over hells:爱的神魂颠倒

They just met, but he's fallen head over heels in love with her.

他们刚刚相遇,但他已经深深地爱上了她。

17)knock it off:少来这一套

You're impossible:你真是不可理喻

Give me a break:别烦我了

I'm sick of doing housework. 我厌倦了做家务。

Get out of my face:立刻从我眼前消失

18)stir crazy:

19)bung up:

20)out of sight, out of mind:眼不见心不烦

21)stave off:avert/delay 避开;延缓

What is your plan in 2022 to stave off death?

22)not so much as

甚至于;连. .. 都不

...unable to so much as turn his head without incredible pain from the tuberculosis as it attacked his spinal cord.

... 以至于连转头这样的动作都不能不承受来自结核病带来的剧痛,因为结核袭击了他的脊髓。

23)roll off the tongue

24)take to task:confront; criticize;correct 纠正,批评

11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Coin Marketplace

STEEM 0.14
TRX 0.23
JST 0.032
BTC 85315.05
ETH 2104.68
USDT 1.00
SBD 0.63