You are viewing a single comment's thread from:

RE: #Discussion Time - The Quantum & The Lotus - Quote #1

in #discussion7 years ago

Hello again.

For this post, I have a reply to only your 3rd question above.

I don't see how we can burden scientists with such final and ultimate responsibility for the fruits or failures of the technology they develop. For instance, Einstein and Oppenheimer had reservations about developing the atomic bomb, but they did so because they believed its use would be the lesser of 2 evils.

In retrospect, can we say that they are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki? I'd say not. Not directly, and not really indirectly. The decision to drop the bombs was made by Truman and maybe his advisors.

The issue of the atomic bombs is gray – even if you understand that Japan was about to surrender. Therefore, we cannot paint the issue as black and white, and cannot paint either Einstein or Oppenheimer with the black brush of responsibility or guilt.

However, there are times when the issue is very dark gray. In such cases, those scientists who have a properly functioning moral compass (or those who are not color blind :-) ) can and should decide for themselves whether to work on any given project or for any given government.

They are, after all, human, right? And we should not expect superhuman or transhuman behavior from them. (Although such behavior is always welcome.)

Sort:  

Indeed, this is one of the perfect examples that highlights the critical point in that question. I too agree that you can't hold those in pursuit of knowledge accountable for the actions that result from the use of it. Ultimately, the knowledge itself already exists as a truth of this reality whether we understand it or not. It is just a fact. What we decide to do with knowledge and how we employ it is tied to an individual or group. That action has to be taken, and with every action you take, there is consequence.

Had a good laugh at your last sentence, yes, transhuman behavior is always welcome though not expected!

Insights, discussions, debates, and laughs. Have it all ... on Steemit.

Coin Marketplace

STEEM 0.17
TRX 0.15
JST 0.028
BTC 62102.06
ETH 2415.08
USDT 1.00
SBD 2.49